Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pagophagia

I had no idea about the recent surge in demand for chewable ice, the existence of the Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute, or Vince Gill's* penchant for pagophagia ("Europe is a drag," he says. "I ask for ice, and they give me one or two cubes. They're stingy with their ice. I'd never survive there") until I read this Wall Street Journal piece, a story which does wonders for restoring my faith in the trend piece** in general.  I recommend the video ("Once you get that ice you feel -- I just feel good inside") too.  

*I also had no idea that Vince Gill sang backup on "The Bug" for Dire Straits.
**Because the NYO's archives are a mess, you have to scroll to the middle of the linked page to see the classic (unheadlined) "Trend Piece" piece. But it's worth it!

No comments: